Wednesday 2 February 2011

Kobayashi ready to step up

Kamui Kobayashi is adamant he can lead the Sauber team despite having only one year of F1 experience.

With Sauber having signed Mexico's Sergio Perez as Kobayashi's team-mate, the Japanese driver will be the most experienced of a rather young line-up.

However, the 24-year-old, who bagged 32 points in his debut season, firmly believes he is up to the challenge.

"My rookie season was a very challenging, very exciting period," he said at the launch of Sauber's C30.

"Now it's still exciting but it's a different role. It's more the experienced driver in the team. I am thinking how I can bring a good level to the team.

"I have to be ready to lead the team. That's why Peter Sauber and the team chose me for this year. This is definitely my challenge and let's say I am ready to be the leader for the team."

One of the hot topics heading into this year's Championship is overtaking with F1 introducing moveable rear wings and bringing back KERS in a bid to make it easier.

Kobayashi, though, fears the moveable wings could prove to be problematic.

"For the driver it's difficult with the system. If it works it's very nice but if something happens it can be very dangerous."

No comments:

Post a Comment