Tuesday 1 February 2011

Andy Carroll: I was forced out

Andy Carroll has claimed he was asked to hand in a transfer request as Liverpool closed in on their £35million swoop for him.

Carroll told the Evening Chronicle that he had been in talks over a new and improved contract at St James' Park when it became clear he was longer wanted on Tyneside.

He said: "...[Managing director] Derek [Llambias] asked me to hand in a transfer request, so I was pushed into a corner and had no choice. I wasn't wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money."

Carroll continued: "Then I flew down in (owner Mike Ashley's) helicopter. I didn't want to leave.

"I'm gutted that I wasn't wanted at my home team after everything I have done and the progress I have made.

"I didn't want to leave at all. Make sure they know I didn't want to leave.

"The players, staff and fans were fantastic."

Carroll's comments back up the content of texts he sent to friend and editor of the Toon Talk fanzine, Steve Wraith, as the transfer saga unfolded on Monday night.

However, manager Alan Pardew has insisted Carroll decided to leave after asking for a new deal, which was not forthcoming.

Pardew told the Shields Gazette: "We didn't force anybody to leave.

"I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January - where would it stop?

"Personally, I'm disappointed. He's a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can't change that.

"Was this about football? That's what you have to ask. I don't think it was."

Newcastle rejected Liverpool's initial approach for Carroll but, after receiving a second, accepted it when, according to Pardew, the player demanded to leave if he was not given a new deal, despite him only signing one at the end of last year.

Pardew added: "We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer.

"We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

"I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn't get that contract, he wanted to go.

"I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

"We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

"We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

"He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.

"But no club is about one player. We're absolutely gutted that he's gone. It's disappointing, but we're not in a financial position like Liverpool."

Pardew will hold a media conference at 1pm, ostensibly to talk about Wednesday's match at Fulham, but the subject of Carroll's departure is certain to be raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment